Citizens Advice Barking & Dagenham is a charity with charitable limited company status.
We have been working in the social justice space since 1939 helping people, families and communities through the delivery of a range of advice services and by carrying out research and campaign activity.
As Barking and Dagenham’s leading advice agency, we currently help over 7,000 local residents each year through our advice and casework alone.
We are active in the local voluntary and community sector and act as a critical friend to the local authority, public and private sector agencies.
We are reliant upon funding and volunteers to help us to deliver our services.
Our Charitable Purpose
Our charitable purposes are set out in our Articles of Association. Our charity exists to promote any charitable purpose for the benefit of the whole community of Barking and Dagenham and neighbouring Boroughs (“the area of benefit”) by the advancement of education, the protection of health and the relief of poverty, sickness and distress.
Our Charitable Services & Activities
We deliver the charitable purposes above through services and activities broadly set out below. These services and activities are underpinned by core values.
- We provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities
- We offer a range of other services that help people to solve the problems they face
Research and Campaigning
- We work to improve the policies and practices that affect people’s lives
- We are active in the local voluntary and community sector and act as a critical friend to the local authority, public and private sector agencies
Core Values that inform our services & activities
- We value diversity, promote equality & challenge discrimination
- We work to tackle poverty and disadvantage
- We help everyone and prioritise our limited face to face and casework resources for the most vulnerable in our community
Proud member of Citizens Advice National
Our charitable aims directly align with Citizens Advice our membership body:-
- give people the knowledge and confidence they need to find their way forward – whoever they are, and whatever their problem and,
- with the right evidence, show big organisations – from companies right up to the government – how they can make things better for people
Our governance and management