Citizens Advice Barking & Dagenham is a charity with charitable limited company status.
We have a long and proud history of working in the social justice space CABD was one of the very first Citizens Advice offices to open in 1939 during World War II. We have delivered a range of services to help local people, families and communities since that time.
As Barking and Dagenham’s leading advice agency, we help over 7,000 local residents each year through our advice and casework. We carry out research and campaigns both local and national through our national membership body Citizens Advice.
We are reliant upon funding and volunteers to help us to deliver our services. We work in partnership with many organisations both local, London and national. Our service works very hard to respond to social justice needs in one of the poorest areas of London.
Our Charitable Purpose
Our charitable purposes are set out in our Articles of Association. Our charity exists to promote any charitable purpose for the benefit of the whole community of Barking and Dagenham and neighbouring Boroughs (“the area of benefit”) by the advancement of education, the protection of health and the relief of poverty, sickness and distress.
Our Mission & Values
We are committed to providing a high quality range of services, which respond to the needs of the residents in Barking and Dagenham. Some of our services also cover neighbouring areas.
We deliver our charitable purposes above through a twin mission.
Our Service Delivery aim is to provide the advice people need for the problems that they face
- free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities
- a range of services that help as many people as possible to find a way forward
Our Research and Campaigns aim is to improve the policies and practices that affect people’s lives
- act as an influential voice and critical friend to the local authority, public and private sector agencies
- work with the local voluntary and community sector to sense check issues and amplify voice
Core values underpin our twin mission above
- We value diversity, promote equality & challenge discrimination
- We work to tackle poverty and disadvantage
- We help everyone and prioritise our limited face to face and casework resources for the most vulnerable in our community
Proud member of the Citizens Advice service
Citizens Advice is a national charity and the membership body for Local Citizens Advice offices across the country. Our movement is highly trusted and influential.
- See the impact we have through our advice delivery
- See the change we make through our research and campaigns.
Citizens Advice National steers and support the network of independent LCAs. As a movement together we deliver services from approximately 2,500 locations across England and Wales with over 21,000 volunteers and 8,700 staff.
Citizens Advice national is renewing its national strategy and its current focus is:
- To give people the knowledge and confidence they need to find their way forward – whoever they are, and whatever their problem
- With the right evidence, we can show big organisations – from companies right up to the government – how they can make things better for people
Local and national – 4 national offices and independent local Citizens Advice services across England and Wales offer direct support to people.
Here for everyone – our advice helps people solve problems and our advocacy helps fix problems in society. Whatever the problem, we won’t turn people away.
Listened to – and we make a difference.
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
About Citizens Advice Barking & Dagenham
Charity Registration No: 1123253
Company Registration No: 01821310
VAT No: 105430461
A member of the National Citizens Advice Association
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN no: 617809
Regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) for the provision of immigration advice and services
Registered Office 339 Heathway, Essex RM9 5AF
Citizens Advice Barking & Dagenham is the trading name of Barking & Dagenham Citizens Advice Bureau
Copyright © 2022 Citizens Advice Barking & Dagenham. All rights reserved.